Monday, 16 February 2015

Blueberry Muffins

As I am writing this post, I have actually just pulled out a fresh batch of blueberry muffins out of the oven, and it smells DIVINE in here!!!

So, the original title of this post was "Choc Chip and Walnut Muffins", however as I now have yummy smelling blueberry muffins sitting on the kitchen bench cooling, I'd thought I'd change the title, as this muffin recipe is actually a basic muffin recipe where you can easily vary the type of filling!

The basic muffin recipe makes really fluffy muffins because of the buttermilk.


Basic Muffin Recipe
2 2/1 cups (375 g) self-raising flour
90 g butter, chopped (unsalted preferably)
1 cup (220 g) caster sugar
1 1/4 cup (310 ml) buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten

Variations of filling (choose one)
1) 200 g of berries, fresh or frozen (could be blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc.)

2) Date & orange: 1 1/2 cups (240 g) seeded chopped dates
                            3 teaspoons grated orange rind

3) Choc Chip & Walnuts:  3/4 cups (140 g) choc bits
                                      1 cup (120 g) chopped walnuts

4) Banana & Choc Chip:  3/4 cups (140 g) choc bits
                                     1 soft banana mashed up with lightly beaten egg and added with egg to mixture

5) Raspberries & White Choc Chip:  3/4 cups (140 g) white choc bits
                                                     100 g of raspberries (fresh or frozen)

6) use your imagination for further filling combinations ;-) 

Steps:
1) Grease a 12 hole (1/3 cup / 80 ml capacity) muffin pan
2) Sift flour into a large bowl, and rub in the chopped butter until it has a crumbly consistency
3) Stir in sugar, buttermilk and egg. Do not over-mix. Mixture should be lumpy.
4) Add chosen filling
5) Spoon mixture into prepared pan, bake in moderately hot oven 15-20 minutes (200 - 210 C), fan-forced oven 180 - 190 C (I usually do about 18 minutes)

Let the muffins cool down a bit after taking them out of the oven and then enjoy!


Blueberry Muffins




No comments:

Post a Comment